Baylee * Abbee * Kalyssa * William * Paisley * Emmy

Baylee * Abbee * Kalyssa * William * Paisley * Emmy

Top of Utah Half Marathon 2013

It's time! The half marathon is here... 13.1 miles. Katie and I stayed at her sweet sister-in-law's house in Logan last night. We picked up our race packets last night too, so we're ready to go. As some of you already know, I've been eating a Paleo diet. To prepare for my long run this morning, I ate a big dinner the night before. I had salmon with mango salsa, about 2 cups steamed broccoli & cauliflower, and 1/2 cup baked yam with coconut oil and cinnamon. I was so stuffed going to bed! I hate yams, but had to choke it down for the extra fuel I'll need. We woke up at 4:30 am and  I couldn't eat my breakfast. I was still full from last night's dinner, and was afraid to eat more. Plus, I didn't want to have to stop and use the potty in the middle of my race! ;0)  Katie and I headed to Zollinger park to catch the bus up the canyon to the start line.

It was a little chilly this morning while we waited for the race to start. We have our jackets on.
I met Katie when we moved into our new ward last February, and I've been running with her in the mornings this summer. If it wasn't for her I wouldn't be running in this race today. This is her 9th half marathon and it's my first! I just needed a little nudge to sign up. :) Thanks for giving me that push Katie!!! This has been a goal of mine for the last 10 years. It was time to accomplish it.

The race started about 7:02 am... Katie and I both stayed right with the 1:40 pacer at a 7:33 minute mile pace for the first 6 miles. Starting half way up the canyon was an advantage cause it was mostly down hill. The pacer was kind of coaching the runners around him, telling us we were doing great and to find a comfortable pace and relax there, and to let gravity work for us since it was down hill for that part of the race. I don't like to listen to music when I run, so I really appreciated him talking to us and giving us advice. With it being my first time running a half, I felt like I needed all the coaching I could get. :)

Then about mile 7, I could tell I was pushing myself a little too hard, and I couldn't keep this pace for another 6 miles. So I slowed down slightly to be more comfortable and let my heart rate lower a little, and I was able to catch my breathe while still running. LOL... if that makes any sense. They had running pacers at every 5 minute interval. When I noticed the 1:45 pacer had pasted me, I sped up to catch her. Being half way there and feeling great, I felt like that would be a realistic goal... I would stay with her the rest of the way and guarantee myself a finish time of 1:45. THAT would be awesome!!!

I text Brandon while I was on the 7th mile and told him my pace was at 1:45, so he knew when to expect me. He got our 3 little ones out of bed this morning and drove here to Logan to watch me cross the finish line. I pack all 3 kids lots of places and know how hard it is to do it by yourself. He is so sweet to do that, take off work, and come support me. Mwuah to my hubby... I love you.

Brandon brought the camera and is taking pictures of the kids waiting for me at the end. I was on mile 10 when Brandon text me and said they were there waiting for me at the finish line. Knowing that my family was there gave me an extra push to keep going. You'll do anything for your family. :) 

There was water, gateraid, bananas, and oranges at miles 3, 6, 9, and 11. I stopped to walked about 10 steps at each station - grabbed a water to drink, and half a banana to eat on the run. :) It sure helped to refuel!

Mile 11 was the hardest, 1/4 of it was uphill! Whoa! It was brutal. At the top of the hill we turned onto the final street and had 1 1/2 miles to go. I knew this was it. I could see the crowd of people down the road. I was starting to catch my breathe from the hill, and decided I wanted to have the strongest finish possible or I wouldn't be satisfied with myself. So I gave it all I had... I switched gears and ran like hell for the last mile to the finish line!!! ...leaving the 1:45 pacer in the dust. *wink wink*

As I sprinted passed Brandon and the kids, Willie was so cute! Once he saw me he started jumping up and down yelling, "Mama! Mama! Mama!" Then the twins joined in with him. I was waving and all smiles as I passed them. I did it! They put a metal around your neck as everyone finishes. 

Right away I noticed my calves were burning!!! Ooh, Ouch! I was sort of limping around. Haha. I snatched my wonderful kids for a pic while on my high. I had just accomplished something great! They inspire me to work hard. And my time was much better than I expected... 01:43:40.9! I expected 1:50 for my first time, but would settle for just finishing. LOL.

Katie was my true pacer, she is an amazing runner. I kept her in my sights and knew I'd be happy with my time if I could stay close behind her. I finished 22 seconds after she did.

Brandon, my biggest fan... and my personal massage therapist tonight. ;O)

We tried to get another picture cause the first one wasn't too clear. This one isn't focused either. Oh well.

While Brandon was taking this picture of us and we were talking to Katie for a minute... we looked over at the playground where the kids were playing (with a hundred other kids) and we couldn't see William anywhere! I stayed with the twins while Brandon walked around to find Willie. He came back twice without him to ask me if Will had showed up and he hadn't. I swear 30 minutes had passed by then, and I was starting to panic inside. Then I saw Brandon walking over to me with Will... omgosh... I hugged that little boy with such relief I couldn't hold back the tears. I was so relieved Brandon had found him. He said he went to the paramedic to ask them for help in the search. One paramedic over heard Brandon and asked if he was missing a little boy. A woman had brought Will to them cause she noticed he wasn't with anyone and seemed lost. Thank goodness for strangers who help and do the right thing!

Emmy wanted an ice cream sandwich so bad, but when it started dripping all over her hand she didn't want it anymore.

Willie is thrilled with all the post race treats he got to eat! 
There was Great Harvest bread, chocolate milk, ice cream sandwiches, bananas, oranges, and water... I could only eat the fruit of course. :) The kids ate the rest.

Paisley had to wear my metal and eat her slice of bread by the playground.

I have a huge hole in the side of both my shoes! I just got this pair for Mother's Day... Oh Honey!? My birthday is coming up in September if you're wondering what to get me. Hehe.

Final results for the Top Of Utah Half Marathon 2013. My pace was 7:54.9 minute miles. In my division (Females 30-34 years old) there was 256 participants... I was in 17th place out of 256 women my age. I killed it!!! Woman's over-all, I was the 70th woman to cross the finish line out of 1,338 females. Overall, out of 2,041 participants total... I was the 225th finisher. I record every detail possible to compare to future races I run... I'm funny like that. :) The whole challenge is to beat yourself!

I'd definitely run another half marathon. I loved it!!! I have no interest in doing a full marathon tho (26.2 miles). A 13 mile race is still fun to me, but any farther I don't think I'd enjoy. Plus, I don't feel like I have the time to train for a full marathon at this point with my little kids and busy family life. Maybe in the future I'll change my mind and want to run a marathon, but not anytime soon.

Aug 24, 2013