Baylee * Abbee * Kalyssa * William * Paisley * Emmy

Baylee * Abbee * Kalyssa * William * Paisley * Emmy

Happy Birthday To Our Twins

I woke up at 6am this morning to get ready to go to the hospital. I had an induction appointment at 8:00. My doctor gave me an ultrasound to check the position of the twins. Baby "A" was still head down and ready for delivery, and Baby "B" was head down too!... we could plan on a traditional delivery! She started me on pitocin meds about 9:30 to get my labor going. I was still dilated to 4cm and 80% thinned. My contractions started and didn't hurt too bad. I asked for my epidural around 11:30 anyway to get confomfy and wait it out while my labor progressed. Brandon and I watched daytime TV, and he brought his laptop to email our friend Shawn Saunders that's on his mission in Scotland. I was feeling good and numb!

By 1:30pm I hadn't dilated any further and was barely 4 1/2 centimeters, so they sent a doctor in to break Baby "A's" water. After that my contractions were so intense that they hurt badly even with my epidural that had me numb. I had to brace myself with each one! At 2:30, my nurse came in to say "Hi"... I told her I was in a lot of pain and to check my dilation. She did and was shocked that I was already 10 centimeters! She called to the surgery room and told them to get it ready for delivery. They wanted me to be in there in case I needed an emergency C-section.


Me and Dr. Brandon in the surgery room waiting for Dr. Wood to arrive so I could start pushing. We did another quick ultrasound to check their position again, and Baby "B" had flipped and was now breech. My doctor said it's still okay and to start pushing.

ONE push and Paisley Ann was born at 3:00 pm...
screaming loudly like a hurt cat! She weighed 5 lbs. 7 oz. and was 17 1/2 inches long. The cord was too short for Brandon to cut it, and we didn't get to hold her. We did get this picture right after she was born and before the nurses zipped her away down the hall to another room. They wanted the room clear in case trouble with Baby "B" arises.

We had a few minutes before I started pushing again, so Brandon went to see her and take this picture. I could still hear her screaming from the other room... haha... she was healthy!


Another ultrasound check and Baby "B" had flipped AGAIN and was head down... and just in time. :) She was still far up in my rib area. I pushed for awhile to try to get her down. After several pushes everyone in the room was worried and Brandon could tell something was wrong, but no one said anything. After 10 more minutes of pushing, the doctor finally said to me, "Her heart rate has been dangerously low for too long now. If we don't get her out in the next 2 minutes we'll have to do an emergency c-section. So give it all you got, and PUSH!" When she said that I was flooded with fear and worry. I had no idea Baby "B" was under so much stress. What if she dies of lack of oxygen? Or what if she has brain damage? I had so many thoughts rush through my head at that point. Mostly because I didn't know what the risks of a low heart rate could be to my unborn baby, but the doctor and nurses knew and it was serious. Plus, delivering one baby vaginally and then having an emergency c-section would be the worse case scenario. All I could do was pray and push like h*ll.


During those crucial 2 minutes of the hardest pushes (I think, cause I was numb) I ever gave, the epidural doctor came in and injected more medicine through my tube. Once he did that, Baby "B's" heart rate climbed back to normal and you could feel the tension leave the room. The medicine made me and the baby relax so I could continue pushing and not rush. With every contraction I would push as hard as I could, and she gradually got lower and lower...

At 3:32 pm, Emmy Lou was born and was only quietly whimpering. She was laid on my stomach and Brandon cut the cord. I cried a little feeling relieved that it was over and our sweet babies were okay. She weighed 5 lbs. 14 oz. and was 18 1/2 inches long.


Emmy is 11 minutes old and Brandon gets to hold her for the first time.

I was wheeled back into my room to recover. The twins had their baths and I got to cuddle them both for the first time. My nurse took our picture. Brandon had gone to pick up our other kids to bring them to the hospital the meet their new sisters.

Baylee held one first, then it was Kalyssa and Abbee's turn.

William is a big brother now! He was excited to hold Emmy, but got bored fast.



Our first family-of-8 photo!
I never would have imagined that in almost 3 years time, I would go from only having 1 child to having 6! Haha... It's awesome!!!

A new father of twins... still can't believe it. Paisley looks just like Brandon and Emmy looks just like me. It's safe to say they are fraternal twins because not one feature about them is the same... and I love it.

Twins with their Grandma Mitzi. She came to see them later in the evening. I love this picture. You can see how happy grandchildren make your parents. :)

Happy Birthday
Paisley Ann & Emmy Lou

Aug 29, 2011